PhD candidate, ANU RSEEME (2015-FEB to present)
- Thesis working title: ‘Characterisation of mixing processes for spatially confined coflow jets’. Supervisory panel: Prof. Wojciech Lipinski (chair), Prof. David Buttsworth (USQ, primary), A. Prof. Ben Thornber (USyd, advisor), Dr Mike Dennis (advisor)
Research Officer, ANU (2015, part time). Design project for Prof. Wojciech Lipinski on the solar simulator support stand.
School Visitor, the Australian National University, CECS RSE (2014-SEP to 2015-FEB)
British Racing Drivers’ Club, British F1 GP, event staff (2014-JUL)
Gemini Transmissions Ltd: Internship (OCT 2013), Mechanical Design Engineer (2014-FEB--SEP)
MSc, Cranfield University (UK), Motorsport Engineering And Management (2012-OCT to 2013-SEP)
- Thesis project ‘Evaluation of charge air cooling systems for a 2014 formula one power unit’ sponsored by McLaren Racing
- MSc group design project ‘Active aerodynamics for the Reynard Inverter 750mc racing car’
Research Officer, the Australian National University, CECS RSE (2012-FEB--SEP, 2013-NOV to 2014-FEB)
Research Engineer, Endless Solar (2011-JAN to 2011-JUN)
System Designer, Armada Solar (2010-JAN to 2011-JAN)
BEng (Hons), ANU, Canberra (2006-FEB to 2010-JUL)
- Honours project: ‘Design for manufacture of ejector nozzles’
Low temperature solar thermal technologies; renewable and recovered energy; fluid dynamics; fluid mechanics; computational fluid dynamics; experimental fluid dynamics; thermofluids; compressors; research and development; design for manufacture; commercialisation of technology; motorsport.
My research is about fundamental mixing phenomena of fluids. An important application is the development of technologies that collect heat and convert it in to a compression effect
Conferences, Workshops, Symposia
- '21st Australasian Fluid Mechanics' Conference' in Adelaide, attendee (2018-DEC-10--13)
- `Australian Engineering Conference' in Sydney, attendee (2018-SEP-17--19)
- Australian Youth Aerospace Association's `Aerospace Futures' Conference in Canberra, attendee (2018-JUL-17--19)
- `Fluid-Structural Interaction' workshop in Canberra, attendee (2018-MAY-07--09)
- Engineers Australia `Future Of Infrastructure' breakfast, attendee (2016)
- Energy Security Forum (Engineers Australia and ANU ECI), Canberra, attendee (2016)
- National Youth Science Forum: represented Engineers Australia, focus group leader (2016)
- Ninth International Symposium on `Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena', Melbourne, attendee (2015)
- ARIAFAR, K., COCHRANE, T., MALPRESS, R. & BUTTSWORTH, D. 2018. Pitot and static pressure measurement and CFD simulation of a co-flowing steam jet. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 97, 36--47.
- COCHRANE, T. R., BUTTSWORTH, D. R., THORNBER, B. & DENNIS, M. 2016. Free Shear Layer Development in an Ejector: a Jet in an Axisymmetric Ducted Coflow. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, 5--8 December 2016 Perth, Australia. 5--8 December 2016, Perth, Australia.
- DENNIS, M., COCHRANE, T. & MARINA, A. 2015. A prescription for primary nozzle diameters for solar driven ejectors. Solar Energy, 115, 405--412.
- DENNIS, M., MARINA, A. & COCHRANE, T. R. 2012. Implications of Momentum Modelling in Ejector Fluid Mixing. 23rd International Symposium on Transport Phenomena (ISTP23). Auckland, New Zealand.
Chief Minister’s Challenge 2014, finalist (4th place). Built environment design competition, organised by Consult Australian and sponsored by ARUP.
- ANU CECS Monthly Munchies industry networking event, event co-organiser (2017)
- ANU solar car team, consultant on computer-aided design and aerodynamics (2016--2017)
- Engineers Australia, Young Engineers Australia: committee member (2016--2018), deputy chair (2018). School careers fair, Engineering Games, Fellows' Lunch.
- Consult Australia’s FutureNet, committee member (2015)
- UK National 600 motorbike endurance championship, Team Sorrymate.com: race, data and strategy engineer (2014)
British Racing Drivers’ Club, British F1 GP, volunteer: coordination of 17 chauffeurs, radio communication to 25 staff, solving logistical and HR issues (2013)
- Course representative, Cranfield Students’ Association (2012--2013)
- Vice President, ANU Engineering Students' Association (2009)
Education - Tutoring Roles
- ENGN3224/6224 Fluid Mechanics And Heat Transfer (2017 S1)
- ENGN1221 Discovering Engineering (2015 S1)
- ENGN3224/6224 Energy Systems Engineering (2015 S1)
- ENGN2226 Systems Analysis (2012 S2)
Education - Supervisory Roles
- Undergraduate thesis secondary advisor and examiner:
- advisor for one undergrad thesis project; industry project with Walkinshaw Racing, on brake cooling duct optimisation for a racing car (2017)
- Undergraduate secondary advisor and examiner:
- ANU BEng R&D projects; aerodynamics and thermofluid aspects of Sol Invictus (solar car team) project
- two students (2016 S2)