Siva Karuturi is working jointly in the Research School of Electrical, Energy and Materials Engineering and the Research School of Physics. He received a PhD degree in 2013 from Nanyang Technological University in Materials Science and Engineering. Siva worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the School of Photovoltaics & Renewable Energy Engineering at the University of New South Wales before moving to ANU in 2014. He was a recipient of the Discovery Early Career Researcher Award grant from the Australian Research Council in 2015.
His research interests lie primarily in the areas of solar energy conversion and materials engineering with extensive experience in the design of semiconductor photoelectrodes and integrated cells for hydrogen generation. He recently played a key role in securing grant funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and ANU towards addressing key technological challenges advancing the commercialisation prospects of solar hydrogen technologies.
2018 – “Improving Efficiency, Durability and Cost-effectiveness of III-V Semiconductors for Direct Water Electrolysis", funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.
2018 – “Low-Cost Perovskite/Silicon Semiconductors Integrated with Earth Abundant Catalysts for Efficient Solar Hydrogen Generation” funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.
2017 – "Advanced High-Efficiency Silicon Solar Cells Employing Innovative Atomic Scale Engineered Surface and Contact Passivation Layers, funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.
2015 – “Solar hydrogen generation from rust: rational design of nanostructured photoanodes” funded by the Australian Research Council.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Jennifer Wong-Leung, Inseok Yang, Ziyuan Li, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lan Fu, Hark Hoe Tan and Chennupati Jagadish, “Engineering III-V semiconductor nanowires for device applications”, Advanced Materials 2019, 1904359.
- Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Yiliang Wan, Jennifer Wong Leung, Kaushal Vora, Mykhaylo Lysevych, Yimao Wan, H. H. Tan, C. Jagadish and S. Mokkapati, “Ultrathin Ta2O5 electron-selective contacts for high efficiency InP solar cells”, Nanoscale 2019, 11 (15), 7497-7505.
- Joshua Butson, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Mykhaylo Lysevych, Jennifer Wong-Leung, Hark Hoe Tan, Chennupati Jagadish, “Narrow Bandgap InGaAsP for Photoelectrochemical Solar Water Splitting”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2019, 11, 28.
- Jian He, Md. Anower Hossain, Hao Lin, Wenjie Wang, Siva Karuturi, Bram Hoex, Jichun Ye, Pingqi Gao, James Bullock, Yimao Wan, “25 μm Thin Silicon Solar Cells Achieving Over 15% Efficiency with Fluorine Doped Titanium Oxide and Chemically Tailored PEDOT:PSS as Asymmetric Heterocontacts”, ACS Nano 2019, 136 6356-6362.
- Rowena Yew, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Hark Hoe Tan, and Chennupati Jagadish, “Exploiting surface defects in TiO2 for enhanced photoelectrochemical water splitting”, Optics Express 2019, 27, 2, 761-773.
- Nandini Patra, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Nilesh J. Vasa, D .Nakamura, M. Higashihat, Vipul Singh and A. Palani, “Influence of Ni, Ti and NiTi alloy nanoparticles on hydrothermally grown ZnO nanowires for photoluminescence enhancement”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2019, 770, 5,1119-1129.
- Guanyu Liu, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Hongjun Chen, Leone Spiccia, Hark Hoe Tan, Chennupati Jagadish, Dunwei Wang, Alexandr N. Simonov and Antonio Tricoli, “Tuning the Morphology and Structure of Disordered Hematite Photoanodes for Improved Water Oxidation: a Physical and Chemical Synergistic Approach”, Nano Energy, 2018, 53, pp 745-752.
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Heping Shen, The Duong, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Rowena Yew, Jennifer Wong-Leung, Kylie Catchpole, Hark Hoe Tan, and Chennupati Jagadish, “Perovskite Photovoltaic Integrated CdS/TiO2 Photoanode for Unbiased Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Generation”, ACS Applied Material & Interfaces, 2018, 10 (28), pp 23766–23773.
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Rowena Yew, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Jennifer Wong-Leung, Li Li, Kaushal Vora, Hark Hoe Tan and Chennupati Jagadish, “CdS/TiO2 photoanodes via solution ion transfer method for highly efficient solar hydrogen generation”, Nano Futures 2018, 2 (1), 015004.
- Heping Shen, The Duong, Jun Peng, Daniel Jacobs, Nandi Wu, Junbo Gong, Yiliang Wu, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Xiao Fu, Klaus Weber, Xudong Xiao, Thomas P. White, Kylie Catchpole, “Mechanically-stacked Perovskite/CIGS Tandem Solar Cells with Efficiency of 23.9% and Reduced Oxygen Sensitivity”, Energy and Environmental Science 2018, 11, 394-406.
- Joshua Butson, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Rowena Yew, Mykhaylo Lysevych, Hark Hoe Tan, and Chennupati Jagadish, “Photoelectrochemical Studies of InGaN/GaN MQW Photoanodes”, Nanotechnology 2018 29 045403.
- Yimao Wan, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Chris Samundsett, James Bullock, Mark Hettick, Di Yan, Jun Peng, Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Sudha Mokkapati, Hark Hoe Tan, Chennupati Jagadish, Ali Javey, and Andres Cuevas, “Tantalum oxide electron-selective heterocontacts for silicon photovoltaics and photoelectrochemical water reduction” ACS Energy Letters, 2018, 3 (1), pp 125–131. (Co-First Author)
- Parvathala Reddy Narangari, Siva Krishna Karuturi*, Mykhaylo Lysevych, Hark Hoe Tan, and Chennupati Jagadish, “Improved Photoelectrochemical Performance of GaN Nanopillar Photoanodes” Nanotechnology, 2017, 28 (15), 154001.
- Heping Shen, Daniel A. Jacobs, Yiliang Wu, The Duong, Jun Peng, Xiaoming Wen, Xiao Fu, Siva krishna Karuturi, Thomas P. White, Klaus Weber, and Kylie R. Catchpole, “Inverted Hysteresis in CH3NH3PbI3 Solar Cells: Role of Stoichiometry and Band Alignment”, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2017, 8 (12), pp 2672–2680.
- Guanyu Liu, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Alexandr N. Simonov, Monika Fekete, Hongjun Chen, Noushin Nasiri, Nhien H. Le, N Parvathala Reddy, Mykhaylo Lysevych, Thomas R. Gengenbach, Adrian Lowe, Hark Hoe Tan, Chennupati Jagadish, Leone Spicciac and Antonio Tricoli, “Robust Sub-Monolayers of Co3O4 Nano-Islands: a Highly Transparent Morphology for Efficient Water Oxidation Catalysis”, Advanced Energy Materials, 2016, 6, 1600697.
- Neeti Gupta, Santosh Shrestha, Binesh Puthen Vettil, Hongze Xia, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Gavin Conibeer, “Synthesis of Nano-Crystalline Germanium Carbide using Radio Frequency Magnetron Sputtering”, Thin Solid Films 2015, 592, 162-166, (Impact Factor: 1.94).
- Wenbin Niu, Xianglin Li, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Derrick Wenhui Fam, Hongjin Fan, Santosh Shrestha, Lydia Helena Wong, and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Application of Atomic Layer Deposition in Solar Cells”, Nanotechnology 2014, 26, 064001.
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Liap Tat Su, Wenbin Niu, and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Atomic Layer Deposition of Inverse Opals for Solar Cell Applications”, Advanced Materials Research 2013, 789, 3-7.
- Liap Tat Su, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Jingshan Luo, Lijun Liu, Xinfeng Liu, Jun Guo, Tze Chien Sum, Renren Deng, Hong Jin Fan, Xiaogang Liu, and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Photon Upconversion in Heteronanostructured Photoanodes for Enhanced Near-Infrared Light Harvesting”, Advanced Materials 2013, 25, 1603-1607. (Co-First Author)
- Monan Liu, Xianglin Li, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, Hong Jin Fan, “Atomic Layer Deposition for Nanofabrication and Interface Engineering”, Nanoscale 2012, 4(5), 1522.
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Jingshan Luo, Chuanwei Cheng, Lijun Liu, Liap Tat Su, Hong Jin Fan, and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Three-dimensional Ordered Hierarchical Nanobushes Photoanode for Highly Efficient Photoelectrochemical Cells”, Advanced Materials 2012, 24(30), 4157-62.
- Jingshan Luo, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Liap Tat Su, Hong Jin Fan, and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Homogeneous Photosensitization of Complex TiO2 Nanostructures for Efficient Solar Energy Conversion”, Scientific Reports 2012, 2, 451. (Co-First Author)
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Chuanwei Cheng, Lijun Liu, Liap Tat Su, and Hong Jin Fan, Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Inverse Opals Coupled with Nanowires as Photoelectrochemical Anode”, Nano Energy 2012, 1(2), 322.
- Liap Tat Su, Jun Ye, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Yang Zhao, Jun Guo and Alfred I. Y. Tok, “High index, reactive facets controlled synthesis of one-dimensional single crystalline rare earth hydroxide nanobelts”, CrystEngComm 2011, 13, 5367.
- Lijun Liu, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Liap Tat Su and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok “Electrochromic Photonic Crystals with Versatile Color Tunability” Electrochemistry Communications 2011, 11, 1163.
- Chuanwei Cheng, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Jinping Liu, Hongxing Li, Liap Tat Su, Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, and Hong Jin Fan, “Quantum dots sensitized TiO2 inverse opal for photoelectrochemical water splitting”, Small 2011, 8 (1), 37-42. (Co-First Author)
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Alongkarn Chutinan, Liap Tat Su, Taw Kuei Chan, Thomas Osipowicz, Nazir P. Kherani, Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “Gradient inverse opal photonic crystals via spatially controlled template replication of self-assembled opals”, Nanoscale 2011, 3, 4951-4954.
- Lijun Liu, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Liap Tat Su and Alfred Iing Yoong Tok, “TiO2 inverse-opal electrode fabricated by atomic layer deposition for dye-sensitized solar cell applications”, Energy and Environmental Science 2011, 4, 209-215.
- Siva Krishna Karuturi, Lijun Liu, Liap Tat Su, Yang Zhao, Hong Jin Fan, Xiaochen Ge, Sailing He, and Alfred Tok Iing Yoong, “Kinetics of Stop-Flow Atomic Layer Deposition for High Aspect Ratio Template Filling through Photonic Band Gap Measurements”, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2010, 114, 14843-14848.
- Rowena Yew, Siva Krishna Karuturi, Hark Hoe Tan and Chennupati Jagadish, “Template assisted fabrication of photoelectrodes”, Semiconductors and Semimetals, chapter 8, 97, 289-313, academic press.
- “Method of depositing gradient films on a substrate surface by atomic layer deposition”, US Provisional Patent 61/450,724.
- “Electrochromic photonic crystals with versatile colour tunability”, US provisional patent 61/571, 150.
- “Method of photosensitization based on atomic layer deposition and ion exchange reaction for solar energy harvesting applications”, Technology Disclosure, TD/191/11, Nanyang Technological University.