Dr Nguyen received his bachelor degree in electrical engineering from Portland State University, Oregon in 2011 with a GPA of 3.97/4.0. From 2011 to early 2013, he was a product yield engineer at Intel where he received the Intel Global Test Manufacturing Group (TMG) Excellence award in Q4, 2012.
In 2016, Dr Nguyen received his PhD in engineering (photovoltaics) from the Australian National University (ANU). In 2017, he was a visiting scientist at the United States' National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). Currently, Dr Nguyen is a research fellow and lecturer at the ANU. He has published 46 scientific peer-reviewed papers, delivered 10 international talks and seminars, and is an Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, UK. He received CECS's Dean Award for Excellence in Supervision in 12/2018.
Selected Media Releases:
- 01/2019: Say 'bye bye' to faulty mobile phones and solar cells - ANU, WinTV Canberra, 2CC Radio Breakfast Show, Australia Science Channel, TechXplore, newelectronics, ECNmag, myScience, MIRAGE News, Opli, etc.
- 09/2018: Lab of the Month, by Linkam Scientific, UK - link
Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Collaboration Grant - Round 5 (11/2018-11/2020).
- Project title: Advanced luminescence characterisation for doped-poly and passivation films in silicon photovoltaics
- Recipient: Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$184,045 ($58.3K cash and $125.7K in-kind)
Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) R&D Round 3 (03/2018-09/2021).
- Project title: Driving increased efficiency and reliability in silicon photovoltaics - from ingots to modules
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead), Fiacre Rougieux, Hieu Nguyen, Pheng Phang, Anyao Liu, Kelvin Sio (ANU)
- Total value: AUD$9,153,470 ($3,425,330 cash and $5,728,140 partner in-kind)
ACAP Post-Doctoral Fellowship (01/2018-12/2020).
- Project title: Multiscale and depth-resolved spectral photoluminescence for characterising silicon solar cells
- Recipient: Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$1,178,000 ($483K cash and $695K in-kind)
ACAP Collaboration Grant - Round 2 (2016-2017)
- Project title: Advanced photoluminescence studies of silicon wafers and solar cells
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead) and Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$110,000 ($60K cash and $50K in-kind)
- Mr Thien Truong (primary supervisor, 2018-2022) Outcomes: link 1
- Mr Mike Tebyetekerwa (primary supervisor, 2018-2022)
- Ms Jessica Wu (co-supervisor, 2016-2020) Outcomes: link 1
- Mr Sven Gerritsen (primary supervisor, S1 2019 and S2 2019)
- Mr Ziyuan Cai (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Kilash Pyrke (primary supervisor, S1 2019 and S2 2019)
- Mr Zhuofeng Li (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Boyi Chen (primary supervisor, S1 and S2 2018) Outcomes: link 1
- Luminescence spectroscopy and imaging
- Novel characterisation techniques for photovoltaics
- Solar cells
- Functional materials